Wednesday, November 14

BBC and CNN Comments

Hello guys,

I am posting some of the comments I posted on World Have Your Say managed by Ros Atkins
and CNN Political Tickler

Life in Burma


* Ros Atkins
* 22 Aug 07, 05:45 PM

I've just added all of you who asked to be added to the Daily Email list while I was away. So thanks for your patience while I sorted that. A special hello to Uzondu in Monrovia who's just signed up and who runs an Internet center where he plays WHYS on the radio, forcing his customers to listen. There's really no excuse for not posting on the blog if you're there.

We're a one subject programme today....

I can't recall us ever talking about Burma (or Myanmar as lots of you will call it) on WHYS and we've decided to give over the whole show to trying to understand what life is like there. We've been prompted by the authorities' crackdown on people protesting at a sharp hike in fuel prices.

If you have a question or comment about Burma please post it here. We'll have a wide range of guests ready to respond. I know a lot of them want to talk about what the relationship between Burma and the rest of the world, but we're also going to make sure that we get as detailed a description of what life is like there.

Speak to you later.

This is my published comment:

* 33.
* At 09:40 PM on 22 Aug 2007,
* Roberto Bacasong from Manila wrote:

Hi Ros,

First of all, I would like to thank you first for adding me to your list. I am flattered that I am maybe the first from the Philippines who made into your list. The situation in Burma is similar to the Philippines. Many Burmese suffer from too much political bickering and it is also happening in my country. If Burmese wants to get rid those dictator officials like what the Filipino did through the first People Power Revoulution in 1986, which became the most significant event in the Philippine history, then they should start to do it before its too late. Burma and the Philippines belong to the third world. The development in these countries are slowly compared to the other neighboring Asian countries. I just hope that political leaders should continue to serve their people and those corrupt officials be punished!

Complain about this post | Post a comment



*********

Here's another one:

Should we talk about the 9/11 conspiracies?

* Ros Atkins
* 27 Jul 07, 02:53 PM

I was reading the BBC editors blog the other day and this post stuck out . They normally get tens of comments after each post, and this one has over 400. It's about the way the BBC covered 9/11 and the collapse of WTC7.

I'm in two minds about whether we should talk about it on WHYS....

On the one side we can be pretty sure it'd get a big response. So is that reason enough to do it? On the flip side, some would argue we're being persuaded by a very vocal minority.

I think conspiracy theories start becoming legitimate points of discussion when they can so much currency that they have a real impact on what people think about an event and those involved in it. I don't know if that's true in the case of 9/11 but my hunch that is what's happened.

Anyway, have a read. Let us know if you'd like to hear this on WHYS.



My published comment:


* 68.
* At 11:34 PM on 27 Aug 2007,
* Roberto Bacasong, Manila, Philippines wrote:

Hi Ros,

I am reading your topic about 9/11, it actually a pain to my heart everytime I remember that. I was actually a college student when that tragedy happened. I focused on the updates and reports if how many people killed and if how many people wounded. Those innocent people suffered from the violence perpetrated by the terrorist group allegedly led by Osama Bin Laden. The tragedy brought unwanted heroes for the nation, too. I admired how American and other cultural raises all over the world united together paying respect to the dead people. In the Philippines, political leaders condoled those who victimized by the abusive terrorist group especially there are innocent Filipinos who were also killed.

Complain about this post | Post a comment

*************

CNN Political Tickler


August 17, 2007
Gays jab at Giuliani over mayoral record

Watch CNN's Jeanne Moos report on Giuliani's latest "endorsement."

WASHINGTON (CNN) – It may not be an endorsement Rudy Giuliani will embrace with open arms as he campaigns for the Republican presidential nomination.

"Gays for Giuliani," a satirical organization aiming to highlight the New York Republican's support of gay rights when he was mayor, is the creator of a popular YouTube video that features testimonials from gay New Yorkers on why they "support" the former mayor's White House bid.

"If Rudy Giuliani were here right now I'd want to take his hand and thank him for supporting civil unions because without that I wouldn't have a domestic partner right now," a man says in the video.

"I'm also grateful for domestic partnership plan he implemented in the city cause I've had no less than 5 domestic partners," another man says.

Ryan Davis, a gay New York City theater director and the creator of "Gays for Giuliani," told CNN he wants to highlight, in Davis' view, how Giuliani has backtracked on gay issues.

"He's completely done a 180 on his beliefs," Davis told CNN. "I'm just trying to remind people, hey this is the guy I knew when he was my mayor in NY."

"I would be hard pressed to think of any conservative politician who embraces the gay community like Giuliani does," he added. "I don't know how he can connect that with new persona as friend of the Christian Right."

Giuliani has said he is opposed to same-sex marriage, but supports domestic partnerships and legal benefits for same-sex couples.

Filed under Rudy Giuliani
Posted 8/17/2007 02:59:57 PM | Permalink
73 Comments comment | Add a comment



I believe that LGBT should also live with equal rights. We are here to live and helping the nation to progress. Any LGBT who plans of entering into politics should not be restricted. In the Philippines, we have gay people who were occupying seats in the government. Instead, we question their sexuality we focus on their capacity and skills in handling any position in the government.
Posted By Roberto Bacasong, Manila, Philippines : August 17, 2007 5:33 pm

No comments: